Friday 6 May 2016

So what do you take for 25 days in the Desert?

This is not just a week in the desert, I will be totally isolated for the whole of the trip. No visit to the servo for milk, no I'll just drop into coles on the way home, forget and it wont be there.
The medical stuff
So I completed my remote area first aid course with St Johns in March, and made a list of every thing I would need, then went to the Dr and asked what he thought I should take. It looks a bit like this
this one on the cart and would be better suited for a bus crash
this one is going in my back pack and can be seen as my daily use stuff
and my basic first aid stuff. Yes Katrina that is a snake bandage.
Navigation stuff comes next 1:2500000 series maps of the whole of the Simpson Desert, so this is 6 of them on my dining room table in total there is 9. Plus a Hema 1:12500000 of the Simpson and a what is the worst guide map I have seen it changes orientation from page to page (this may well get left behind) Had a little laugh when I looked more closely at this pic yep that is a Christmas tree, that's when I first got the set of maps and planning began. 
Now the repair kit, At least 1 spare nut and bolt for each nut and bolt on the cart, enough puncture repair kits hopefully to get me through
2 spare tubes and a spare tyre, sewing kit just incase I get bored, Sat phone , Spot messenger and stobe light. The observant ones of you would be saying where is his EPIRB or PLB(personel laocation beacon) I checked the dates on the batteries only last week and it was a yeaar out of date  so for $199 the people at Garmin will service and replace the batteries. 
A few boring things cooking kit , blue tooth speaker, and then the fun stuff sling shot, monocular and my trusty leatherman. Those of you who know me and knw i can make fire just about out of anything would be wondering what the box of jiffies are doing in the pic , I'm just going to take a few just incase its really wet.
camp mat and sleeping bag and the other funny looking bag no it's not my shoes but is a 
Helinox chair, nice at just 900gm and easy to set up. 
this is my battery box. 9.6amp/hr battery controller and connects straight to solar panel.



No comments:

Post a Comment